Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I told a student that he would "make my blog," and I intend to hold fast to that.

Last weekend, I had tonsillitis. I was miserable and was struggling to breathe because my tonsils were so swelled up. So when we started school on Monday, I began a whole new cleaning regiment with every single class wiping their desks with disinfectant at the end of the hour. Most classes appreciate the three minute distraction but my fourth hour has now taken to calling me a cleaning nazi. In that 4th period I have a student who undeniably likes to be the center of attention, for the sake of privacy, lets call him Joe. While the students were set to working on their independent practice Monday, he asked loudly into the silence "May I go to the bathroom." "Only if you wash your hands before coming back," I replied, scribbling a pass for him. He left and re-emerged a few minutes later, making a big scene of not touching the doorknob with his hands, and holding them up like a doctor waiting to be gloved before surgery. Everyone looked up as he loudly managed to get the door open. As he finally entered the room, he announced loudly and proudly, "I am now sterile!" Then sat down. I cracked up, and then continued to crack up as my class, including Joe, looked at me bewildered. When pushed to explain what was so funny I delivered the patented dodge of "I'll tell you when you're older."

Reason #546 I like teaching high schoolers: unintended double entendre.

1 comment:

  1. <3 you Kim! You are amazing and we miss you.

    ReplyDelete