Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Last night I drunk texted God...

One of the last things I did before leaving South Dakota was to teach a unit on poetry. In my quest to find some unorthodox poets I stumbled upon 21 year old, George Watsky. This skinny, falsetto voiced, white kid does slam poetry praising virginity, declaring what he would do as president, bemoaning speaking on the phone with girls, and does it all with an ever-present biting humor. But the piece that made me laugh the most, and think the most, was one called “Drunk Text to God”. In it, Watsky declares that he’s “stalking a church” (he means starting, because “come on, no one spells drunk texts right”) and then goes on to discuss what his church would be like. While some of it is just silly, some lines have haunted my thoughts since I heard it. One of the things that’s been on my mind lately, (which is no surprise as I come back to the land of a thousand churches) is this idea that we’ve been defining “church” in a pretty homogeneous way for a really long time. No where is this as apparent as sitting in Kresge Hall in Metro UMC, a church that has been standing in the same place for 90 years. So I thought maybe I’d take a page out of George Watsky’s book, and spend part of my summer thinking about how I would change things if I were stalking a church?

“Last night, I drunk texted God, I just wanted him to know I’d been thinking about him..”

No comments:

Post a Comment